Thanks to the incredible reach of social media platforms, they have emerged today as the most effective marketing tool for businesses that want to canvass a global marketplace with negligible costs. In fact, Forrester Research predicts that, by 2019, social media marketing expenditure may touch 17.34 billion. eMarketer says that, by 2017, 89.4% of companies in the U.S. will be using social media marketing extensively. The increasing number of businesses switching to social media marketing is great news for you if you have expertise in this niche. All you have to do is set up a home business as a social media consultant and tell businesses how your services can transform their fortunes honing your skills before getting to work.
The key to success with social media marketing, like with any other job, is to deliver fantastic results to each of your customers. To do this, you need to sharpen your skills, enhance your knowledge base and test out your strategies so that you have a clear idea of what to do to achieve the client’s goals. The perfect way to do this is to start by testing the waters. Help someone you know – family or friend, with their small business, taking over their social media marketing. In fact, if you can handle this for a few people instead of one, it could give you a great perspective on which methods work best for which kind of products/ services.
- Do not hesitate to offer your social media marketing services for free to these business owners. After all, you are learning in the process so look at it as an invaluable investment that will help you establish a sound business. As you implement various marketing ideas, take notes on what works, what doesn’t how the business owner reacts and how the market responds to your strategies? This will help you get a clear picture of viable ideas and non- viable ones.
- While you are at it, also make note of the time and resource investment you make in these tasks. This helps you figure out your costs and arrive at a reasonable pricing that gives you a good margin. It also helps you outline realistic deadlines for your deliverables to your future clients.
- Identify the metrics you find most accurate and relevant and set up a monitoring dashboard that you can duplicate for your clients. Discuss with clients and check if they are on board with your perspective in this respect. The business owner’s viewpoint may be very different from yours.
- Once you have results to share, bring in the business owners for a presentation and get their feedback on whether you have achieved what they expected. Duplicate the same effort for all the business owners to understand what kind of expectations your future clients will have from you.
- Now you are ready to start offering your service to the marketplace. Start by creating a professional website that clearly tells people what you do and why they should choose you for their social media marketing. Use your marketing skills to promote your business through various social media channels and also put up ebooks or tutorials to establish your expertise and reach out to more people. Maintain a blog where you talk about related topics, showing how well versed you are in this field.
- Keep yourself informed about what’s taking place in the social media landscape. Attend conferences and events to know more about how social media marketing is evolving and what new tools you can use to improve your success rate with marketing. This niche is characterized by the constant change that takes place here. New platforms keep coming up and old ones lose steam. It is critical for you to stay updated with what’s hot and what’s not so that you know which tools to adopt and which to let go of to maximize your audience reach and get the results your clients desire. Networking with other social media consultants, following popular blogs about this subject and reading up on what experts are presently saying about social media- they all help you stay at the top in this field.